The five actions in the first release of Dynamics CRM 2013 are:
- Set specific field value (including calculations and formulas),
- Set business required state for a CRM attribute,
- Set visibility of a field to visible or invisible (visible = false),
- lock and unlock Dynamics CRM fields / attributes, and
- Show an error message on a form if certain conditions are met.
The following Screenshot shows a sample business rule, its conditions and available actions:
Some important facts, Basics and tips about Business rules in Dynamics CRM:
- Business Rules work on all clients and devices whether it is Microsoft Dynamics CRM web client, outlook client, tablet, Safari or Dynamics CRM iOS and Android Apps.
- Business rules are solution aware so they can be included in importing and exporting Dynamics CRM Solutions.
- Setting a field value in a business rule allows the use of formulas to do calculations for applicable fields such as fields of type “Money”. Addition, subtraction, multiplication & division are the calculation operations available and can be done between fields or values. So for example: set “Total Box Value” field value to “Price per item” field multiplied by “24”. (assuming every box has 24 identical items for instance).
- Business rules can be customised on the Web and Dynamics CRM Outlook clients only.
- Business rules are triggered by onLoad, onSave and onChange events.
- Always create business rules in deactivated mode.
- Quick create form supports business rules. so if field is missing, business rule will not fire on quick create form.
- Business rules will not execute if the field does not exist on the form, the business rule will not get triggered or fired.
- Business rules that belong to the last installed CRM Solution will run last. no limit on the number of actions to attach in a business rule.
* Business rules can be configured and setup from any of the following locations:
1) Entity Customisations in Settings –> Customisations –> Entity –> Business Rules as shown in the following screenshot:
What more actions do you think Business Rules should get? Any ideas or thoughts of how to improve this feature? Looking forward for your comments below.