If you are currently responsible for a Microsoft Dynamics CRM system or planning / delivering a Dynamics 365 solution, then you need to be aware of this important Microsoft announcement about the deprecation of some features and functionalities.
Microsoft defines “Deprecated” as an intention to remove the feature or capability from a future major release of Dynamics 365. The feature or capability will continue to work and is fully supported until it is officially removed. This deprecation notification can span a few years. After removal, the feature or capability will no longer work.
Hence, you should start planning replacing these features from your current Dynamics systems or avoid using these capabilities in your current Dynamics 365 implementation projects.
Here is the list of features, functionalities and capabilities officially deprecated and will be removed from Microsoft Dynamics 365 CRM:
- Dynamics 365 for Outlook (Outlook client) is deprecated
- Service scheduling in Dynamics 365 for Customer Service is deprecated
- Dialogs are deprecated
- Usage of Parature knowledgebase as the Dynamics 365 knowledge management solution is deprecated
- Project Service Finder app is deprecated
- Contracts, Contract Line Items, and Contract Templates entities are deprecated
- Relationship Roles are deprecated
- Mail Merge is deprecated
- Announcements are deprecated
- Ready-to-use business processes available through Add Ready to Use Business Processes setting are deprecated
- Silverlight (XAP) web resource is deprecated
- The following client APIs are deprecated
Xrm.Page Xrm.Page.context Xrm.Page.context.getQueryStringParameters Xrm.Page.context.getTimeZoneOffsetMinutes Xrm.Page.context.getUserId Xrm.Page.context.getUserLcid Xrm.Page.context.getUserName Xrm.Page.context.getUserRoles Xrm.Page.context.getIsAutoSaveEnabled Xrm.Page.context.getOrgLcid Xrm.Page.context.getOrgUniqueName Xrm.Page.data.entity.save(string) Xrm.Page.data.entity.getDataXml GridRow.getData GridRowData.getEntity Xrm.Mobile.offline parent.Xrm addOnKeyPress removeOnKeyPress showAutoComplete hideAutoComplete Xrm.Utility.alertDialog Xrm.Utility.confirmDialog Xrm.Utility.isActivityType Xrm.Utility.openEntityForm Xrm.Utility.openQuickCreate Xrm.Utility.openWebResource
For full details about these deprecations and the official Microsoft announcement, please refer to the following Microsoft Documentation:
Please note that deprecations described in this post and in the original Microsoft Documentation announcement, apply to Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement as of the July 2017 Update. All Dynamics professionals should use this information to prepare for future releases of Dynamics 365.
Customer Engagement refers to the applications that make up the CRM portion of Dynamics 365, which includes the Sales, Customer Service, Field Service, and Project Service Automation applications.