This post is an attempt to collect all basic information and facts about Microsoft Dynamics CRM Activity related entities including: Activity Party, Activity Pointer, Phone call, Email, Appointment, Letter and Fax.
The following Diagram shows the relationship between these various Activity related entities and how the Activity Entities relationships work:
Let’s now start explain the Activity Pointer Entity:
- The activity pointer (activity) entity represents any activity or task that is performed, or to be performed by a user.
- An activity is any action for which an entry can be made on a calendar.
- Whenever you create an activity record, a corresponding activity pointer record is created.
- i.e. The activity record and the corresponding activity pointer record have the same value for the ActivityId attribute.
- For example, if you create an Email record, the attribute values of Email.ActivityId and the corresponding ActivityPointer.ActivityId will be the same.
- The ActivityPointer.ActivityTypeCode attribute defines the type of the activity.
On the other hand, the Activity Party Entity is:
- An activity party represents a person or group associated with an activity.
- An activity can have multiple activity parties.
- Not all activity party types are available for each activity in Microsoft Dynamics CRM, except for a custom activity.
- There are 12 types of activity party in Microsoft Dynamics CRM. The activity party type is stored as an integer value in the ActivityParty.ParticipationTypeMask attribute.
- The following is the list of all 12 types of Activity Party:
|Activity party type||Value||Description|
|Sender||1||Specifies the sender.|
|ToRecipient||2||Specifies the recipient in the To field.|
|CCRecipient||3||Specifies the recipient in the Cc field.|
|BccRecipient||4||Specifies the recipient in the Bcc field.|
|RequiredAttendee||5||Specifies a required attendee.|
|OptionalAttendee||6||Specifies an optional attendee.|
|Organizer||7||Specifies the activity organizer.|
|Regarding||8||Specifies the regarding item.|
|Owner||9||Specifies the activity owner.|
|Resource||10||Specifies a resource.|
|Customer||11||Specifies a customer.|
|Partner||12||Specifies a partner.|
Some facts about the Email Activity Entity:
- CRM includes the E-mail Router software that manages the routing of email to or from Microsoft Dynamics CRM.
- The email activity is delivered using email protocols.
- E-mail Router supports the following email protocols: Exchange Web services, POP3, SMTP, and WebDav
- In addition to the E-mail Router software, the email activity can also be delivered by using Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Microsoft Office Outlook.
Hope this helps. Please comment below if you have something to add, any corrections to the post or if you have any questions